The Nevers

It has been revealed Buffy creator Joss Whedon has a new show and it is for HBO.

It is called The Nevers and as far as I can tell it is his first new show that he has created since Dollhouse and it is described as a “sci-fi epic about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world".

Whedon will serve as writer, director, executive producer, and showrunner.

Touched:
Series opener
The Nevers is created by Buffy creator Joss Whedon.
This is the first Whedon-created series based on his own idea since Dollhouse (2009-10).
Between Dolllhouse & The Nevers, Whedon had co-created Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013-20) but this is based on a Marvel property and not something that he originally came up with.
The Nevers has been described as “an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.”
Starring Laura Donnelly as Amalia True and Ann Skelly as Penance Adair. They are the Touched with the said unusual abilities.
Also featuring Olivia Williams as Lavinia Bidlow who is a rich spinster supporter of the Touched who also runs The Orphanage where many of the main characters live.
Williams had earlier been a principal cast member in the aforementioned Dollhouse.
A shocking and horrifying moment came when Maladie (Amy Manson), an unstable member of the Touched came on a stage and killed an actor playing the Devil. No doubt meant as a crude joke this killing.
Thrilling end to this first episode with a flashback of how the Touched got their powers.

Exposure:
Episode 2.
Quite a gamble that Amalia took by shooting herself so that she can saved Penance.
However due to her powers Amalia survived her own shooting.
Intriguing about the blue-coloured orb.

Ignition:
Episode 3.
Delighted to see here Amy Manson’s (Maladie) tits.
Absolutely exciting bit was when Amalia gets attacked by Odium culminating in that fight at the water with Amalia eventually overcoming her said opponent in this fight.
Absolutely shocking that Mary is killed whilst singing.

Undertaking:
Episode 4.
Moving that this starts off with Mary’s funeral after she was killed at the end of the previous episode Ignition.
Intriguing when figuring out Mary’s final song only for Harriet to believe that the message is not of Mary’s, but someone else speaking through her

Hanged:
Episode 5.
Maladie is now imprisoned and has been sentenced for hanging hence the episode title.
There sure was a debate among the Touched whether to save Maladie.
When the hanging it sure shocked the Touched how that turned out.
That reveal at the end was certainly enthralling and I thought there was something familiar about Effie Boyle.

The Sydney Sunday Telegraph on May 16 2021 has an interview with Laura Donnelly and Ann Skelly.

Included in this interview is them revealing what superpower they like to have for real.

Ann says she would like to have a photographic memory which Laura already possesses.

Ann also makes a second choice that of fitting inside a washing machine “but Laura can do that too…so I like to heal people, make a business out of it and profit out of it all!”

Laura says that her choice of superpower is being able to mute anyone who eats in public:
“Not hearing people eating crisps on a train would improve my life dramatically!”

True:
Mid-season finale.
To my surprise this is structured in four chapters.
It was especially surprising that the first chapter is in the future despite the fact that the series has been previously established in Victorian times.
Absolutely fascinating as it revealed the origins of Amalia True including that she did not always look she does.
It was satisfying that this ends with Amalia revealing to Penance her true (no pun intended) name.