Star Trek: Discovery

Vaulting Ambition:
Season 1, Episode 12.
Georgiou is Emperor of the Mirror Universe. This already sparked debate of why she is not called Empress instead.
Quite risky that Michael revealed to Emperor Georgiou who she really is.
What a revelation at the end that the Lorca that we have known all this time is from the Mirror Universe.

What’s Past Is Prologue:
Antepenultimate episode of season 1.
Similar in name to the Deep Space Nine episode Past Prologue.
Curiously whereas the Discovery episode is the third to last of its first season, the Deep Space Nine episode is the third episode of its first season.
For the Discovery episode quite thrilling as Lorca frees his old crew to do battle with Michael and Emperor Georgiou.
The fight is exciting to see and what a moment when Lorca is killed by Emperor Georgiou. Guess they couldn’t afford Jason Isaacs for the second season.
Perhaps I should not be surprised that Michael saved Emperor Georgiou as she got her transported to the Discovery together.
What a shock that Discovery has arrived back in their own universe nine months after they left it and that the Klingons have won the war.

The War Without, The War Within:
Penultimate episode of season 1.
Intriguing episode as the Discovery crew adjusts back to their universe jumping nine months ahead.
I can sympathise with Tyler being ostracise coming after his actions as Voq.
Key moment when Admiral Cornwell mentioning Captain Archer and the Enterprise he commanded.
Surprise on Emperor Georgiou assuming the guise of her late counterpart.

I hung on till the mid season break, not bothered with watching the second part.

Will You Take My Hand?:
Season 1 finale.
Pretty good although also dull moments end to the first season.
When Tilly realises that Georgiou is from the Mirror Universe she does something before she was told not to do that by Michael.
Certainly made me think of the Tenth Doctor saying that to his companions whenever they say something they shouldn’t be saying.
Georgiou mentioned bread and circuses and Bread and Circuses is also the name of a TOS episode.
Good that Michael’s honour with Starfleet has been restored.
Oh wow what a cameo by the Enterprise at the end and an updated version of the TOS theme played in the end credits.

In regards to the episode title it is a question I like to ask Karen Gillan again and again.

In Doctor Who: Closing Time (2011), the Doctor and Craig make reference to Star Trek and Beam Me Up Scotty.
This is prescient to the fact that this episode guest starred Chris Obi who played security guard George as he later played T’Kuvma in Star Trek: Discovery.

Star Trek: Discovery season 2 teaser:

Star Trek Discovery season 2 trailer:

Star Trek: Short Treks

Runaway:

First episode.

Pretty good episode for Tilly.

Interesting that it starts off with her communicating with her mother and ultimately seeing being kind of mother to the stowaway that she encountered the said runaway.

Star Trek Discovery season 2 NYCC trailer:

The trailer revealed that an iconic character is appearing this season.

The new actor playing this character is Ethan Peck.

While this character is a legend, Peck in real life is related to a legend as he is the grandson of Gregory Peck.

Season 2 will debut on January 17 2019.

The new Spock is played by Ethan Peck.

While Spock is a legend, Peck in real life is related to a legend as he is the grandson of Gregory Peck.

Star Trek: Short Treks

Calypso:

Second episode.

Starring Aldis Hodge as Craft.

He wakes up after a thousand years and this huge time jump is sure unsettling.

He wakes up to find his only companion is the computer Zora.

This reminded me of the movie Passengers as it basically runs on a similar premise.

Quite sappy for my liking.

Star Trek: Discovery season 2 will make its world debut in the US on January 17 2019.

There will be two animated Star Trek: Short Treks in April.

Philippa Georgiou as played by Michelle Yeoh will get her own spin-off from Star Trek: Discovery.
The spin-off will see her adventures as a member of Section 31.
Basically the Star Trek version of Torchwood.

Brother:

Season 2 opener.

The episode title refers to Spock as Michael thought she was going to see him on Discovery but it turns out that he has taken off from the Enterprise.

We only see Spock as a boy here before surprise hearing his present voice at the end when a horrifying revelation to Michael.

Meanwhile this has been a good Discovery debut by Captain Pike played here by Anson Mount as a new series regular and quite an excitement that went on at the USS Hiawatha.

Such Sweet Sorrow Part 1:
Part 1 of the season 2 finale.

The Enterprise interior is shown for the first time in Discovery.

Fun that queen who is an old friend of Tilly’s.

Intriguing cliffhanger with Michael’s impending journey to the future.

David Ajala has joined the cast of Discovery for season 3.

Short Treks

Q&A:
Season 2 opener.
Interesting account of Spock’s first day on the Enterprise as an ensign and meets Number One for the first time when they got stuck in the turbolift together.
Interesting the way this first meeting took shape especially when Number One broke into a Gilbert and Sullivan and Spock joining in.