Southern Cross Austereo

Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) today reveal that the talented comedian duo, Em Rusciano and Harley Breen are the new 2DAY FM Sydney breakfast radio hosts, starting at 6am from January 23rd with their show titled The Em Rusciano Radio Show with Harley Breen.

Gemma Fordham, Head of Content, Hit Network says “The feedback we’ve received around Em and Harley has been incredible. Nothing is off limits and Em connects with her audience brilliantly, her humor and honesty is obviously what’s driven her to have a combined social media following of over 350K and we look forward to Em and Harley waking up Sydney each day.”

Having just stepped off the Summer breakfast show and after successfully hosting a Sunday night show for The Hit Network, Em Rusciano says “I’m excitified at the thought of hosting breakfast radio in Sydney, that’s a combination of my two resting states: excited and terrified. I love radio, I’ve been in and out and in and out again for 12 years! I’m like the herpes of radio… wait, I probably don’t want those words near my name for all of time do I? This job is the holy grail, the philosopher’s stone- the one ring of Mordor! I’m bringing along one of my favourite comics and humans: Harley Breen and together we hope to excitify Sydney! ”

Em adds “Please note that I included a fusion word in my press release statement and three pop culture references. If that and the icy cold cans of Coke I drive around handing out to random people, for no reason, doesn’t convince you I’m qualified for this job: then I give up! Hear you soon Sydney pals!”

46 posts were split to a new topic: Hit Network (including regionals)

50 posts were split to a new topic: Triple M Network (including regionals)

Southern Cross Media Group Limited has entered into discussions with WIN Corporation for the sale by SCA of its northern NSW (NNSW) television assets and operations to WIN and the acquisition of WIN’s i98FM Wollongong radio station.

Under an affiliation agreement with Network Ten, SCA broadcasts Ten programming in the NNSW television licence area.

The affiliation agreement is for a five-year term ending on 30 June 2021.

Completion of the proposed transaction with WIN will be subject to consent from Network Ten. WIN already broadcasts Ten programming in several regional television licence areas, including regional Victoria, southern NSW and regional Queensland. The proposed transaction would enable WIN to sell advertising for Ten programming in the four aggregated regional markets on the eastern seaboard.

SCA has a program supply agreement with the Nine Network under which SCA broadcasts Nine programming in regional Victoria, southern NSW (including Wollongong) and regional Queensland. SCA also provides national sales services for Nine’s NBN channel in NNSW, providing advertisers with a centralised port of call for their regional advertising on Nine’s content along the eastern seaboard.

SCA has 68 regional radio stations, but does not currently operate a radio station in the Wollongong licence area. The proposed transaction would create a multimedia market for SCA with the ability to cross sell radio and television in this market.

SCA will make a further announcement if agreement is reached on the transaction proceeding.

The Daily Mail Australia’s deputy editor Sarah Michael has been appointed national digital news editor at SCA.

SCA’s chief creative officer Guy Dobson said, “It’s an exciting time for SCA News as we invent how news is deployed on-air and online going forward.”

An article which looks at SCA’s elevation of women to lead the network’s charge (and about time too)

SCA has withdrawn from its discussions with WIN Corp about swapping its assets of i98FM Wollongong and Ten Northern NSW.

Wonder what spooked them? They seemed to be keen to wind their television assets down.

I can’t say for certain, but it wouldn’t surprise me if WIN made a low offer and weren’t willing to offer a much larger figure. Personally, I don’t think it’s a lost opportunity for Illawarra FM listeners. If the deal had of come to fruition, the region more than likely would have lost an iconic, local identity in the form of i98fm. Southern Cross Austereo probably would have branded the station as “hit98” or something associated with the “Hit” branding.

In regards to Southern Cross Austereo’s television assets, personally I believe the company is waiting for the reach rule to be scrapped, so that they can sell their Nine-branded stations to the Nine Entertainment Company and earn a massive profit out of the sale, as a result.

from what I understand, the negotiations were not for a straight swap of assets - there was to be money involved. I can only guess that WIN Corp wanted too much for i98.

I was told about 6 months ago that SCA had no intention of merging with Nine. We’ll have to see how that plays out, but their affiliation is much smoother than what it was when it was a WIN/Nine partnership.

SCA has announced a revenue increase of 9.2% - primarily due to its TV assets - with revenue surpassing $351.79million for the first half of the financial year.

It’s a good result given the advertising market has been flat of late, but there is still some good news for shareholders with SCA issuing a fully franked dividend of 3.75 cents per share.

CEO Grant Blackley said the results demonstrate the depth and strength of a diverse media company that is outperforming the market in each of its categories.

“We have been systematically resetting SCA for success by focussing on our financial performance, our operational effectiveness in our existing businesses and investing in new growth opportunities that leverage our expertise in audio and entertainment.”

Blackley also said the rebranding of its regional radio stations - 28 for Triple M and 40 for the Hit network, had contributed to the welcomed boost in performance.

The acquisition of Authentic Entertainment, which included the sales representation deal for music video platform Vevo, strengthened the company’s digital business according to Blackley.

SCA saw a net profit after tax of $48.48million, which is up 11.8% on the December half, with earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation up 1.3% to $92.6million.

The company warned that a challenging advertising market would see limited growth for the remainder of 2017.

Southern Cross Austereo has delivered its results for the half year to December 31, 2016.

Highlights from the radio and regional TV broadcaster include:

• Net Profit After Tax (NPAT) up 11.8% to $48.5m
• Improvements across all key financial measures with advertising growth across all asset classes
• Group revenue up 9.2% boosted by strong growth in regional TV revenue and improved sales practices across all businesses
• A seamless transition to Nine Network in key TV markets in Queensland, Victoria and Southern NSW with increased focus on monetisation and local content. Natural integration of the Authentic Entertainment and Vevo representation assets
• EBITDA of $92.6m, within guidance, and with growth at 1.3%
• Increased shareholder returns with a fully franked interim dividend of 3.75c.

Southern Cross Austereo CEO Grant Blackley said:

“These results demonstrate the depth and strength of a diverse media company that is outperforming the market in each of its categories.

“We have been systematically resetting SCA for success by focusing on our financial performance, our operational effectiveness in our existing businesses and investing in new growth opportunities that leverage our expertise in audio and entertainment.

“I’m excited about recent changes to our metro on-air lineups with a number of strong and engaging program formats including the Em Rusciano Radio Show with Harley Breen on 2Day Breakfast in Sydney, Carrie Bickmore and Tommy Little at 3-4pm Drive on the Hit Network, Robin Bailey joining Triple M Breakfast in Brisbane, Angus O’Loughlin joining Adelaide’s Hit Network, Emma Freedman joining Triple M’s Grill Team in Sydney and The Queen Sesh with Constance Hall launching on the Hit Network on Sundays.

“In the last six months we were involved in 24 new regional radio surveys, rebranded 68 of our regional radio stations into the Hit and Triple M Networks and rebranded many of our television stations to Nine. These have all been aimed at improving our ‘ease of buying’ for our clients and boosting our national marketing and sales capability.

“Our seamless transition to our new affiliation with the Nine Network has provided the platform to substantially grow revenues in our television businesses and excitingly, we have started rolling out 15 local 6pm news services in many of our Nine markets.

“The successful acquisition of the Authentic Entertainment assets and importantly the integration of Vevo’s exclusive Australian sales representation have further improved our scale and digital content offering in market.”

Southern Cross Austereo’s outlook and guidance for H2 FY17 includes:

• Reflecting an advertising market with low growth forecast, EBITDA is expected to deliver growth on H2 FY16 with full year operating EBITDA forecast to be at the lower end of the guidance range ($177m-$183m).

• Increases in revenue driven by new formats across metro radio and improved national sales opportunities resulting from:

• Regional radio surveys and the rebranding of regional radio stations as part of the national MMM and Hit Networks

• Further maturity and monetisation of the improving brand and content of Nine inclusive of new local Nine news services in 15 markets throughout regional Victoria, southern New South Wales and Queensland

• Continued focus on technology to deliver enhanced productivity and back office efficiencies to mitigate the cost of investing in enhanced content

• The continued disposal of non-core assets evidenced by the announcement of the sale of 45 transmission sites, while preserving long-term access rights.

Southern Cross Austereo has canvassed hedge fund Oaktree about buying the radio assets of New Zealand’s Mediaworks.

Southern Cross chief executive Grant Blackley is known to be hunting acquisitions, having previously approached NZME about purchasing its radio assets.

http://www.afr.com/street-talk/southern-cross-boss-tunes-into-new-zealand-radio-20170405-gveq5k

The Hit Network & Triple M everywhere you go

Music fans can now stream live, unlimited, data-free radio from the Hit Network and Triple M on OVOPlay.

Fans can now listen to their favourite local station - hear the local weather, listen to the traffic report and the local news, all while listening to their favourite music.

Fans of Sydney’s 2DAY FM, Melbourne’s FOX FM or local Hit Network and Triple M stations can now stream radio live using a phone or tablet - all you need is 3G or 4G mobile coverage.

Plus, Triple M fans can tune into their favourite Aussie personalities including Merrick Watts, The Grill Team Sydney, The Deadset Legends or Roy and HG on the Sporting Probe every Saturday. And for the NRL fans of course there’s the Triple M NRL call too.

Anyone can enjoy live radio but only OVO customers can enjoy it data-free on OVO.

Couldn’t be happier with this appointment: Gina has done a huge job at Hit/Triple M Cairns, and will do Linda Wayman’s legacy at 92.9 and Mix 94.5 proud.

Gina’s off to Perth

RCS Zetta and G Selector will be rolled out across all of Southern Cross Austereo’s radio stations.

Zetta, the advanced playout system along with GSelector, the patented music scheduling platform will integrate into SCA’s Australia wide network of metropolitan and regional studios delivering networked and locally created entertainment to millions of listeners.

SCA’s Sea FM and 2GO FM on the Central Coast were the first stations to make the switch to the new RCS software.

SCA’s two Brisbane stations, Hit 105 and Triple M Brisbane and Hit 103.5 and Triple M 99.5 Cairns quickly followed suit.

Steve Adler, National Radio Engineering Manager at Southern Cross Austereo commented, “Zetta and GSelector will revolutionise our radio operations and the way we do business. The switch to RCS is an important part of SCA’s future growth.”

Keith Williams, RCS Vice President of Asia Pacific, said, “RCS has a long relationship with SCA. We have learned a great deal about radio together over 30 years and I am honoured that RCS will now play such an integral role with our technology as SCA expands the enterprise over the next decade and beyond."

Philippe Generali, President /CEO of RCS added, “Southern Cross Austereo selecting RCS as their vendor of choice for both play out and scheduling is an exciting venture for both companies. SCA will become the largest cluster of terrestrial and streaming stations using the hand-in-glove integration Zetta & GSelector provides.”

Newcastle is the next to roll-out Zetta in its new facility for KOFM and Hit 106.9 in Honeysuckle at the end of June.

SCA to represent Bathurst Broadcasters

From the 1st July 2017 Southern Cross Austereo will become the sales representative for Bathurst Broadcasters which operates the two commercial radio stations, 2BS and B-Rock Bathurst.

Bathurst Broadcasters owned by the Camplin family is one of the few remaining locally owned and operated broadcast operations in Australia.

Adding 2BS and B-Rock Bathurst to SCA’s representation will add further depth and coverage to SCA’s already strong regional radio offering across the state of NSW and nationally.

From July, national businesses will be able to book activity across a total of 21 stations across NSW including a dominant suite of radio stations in Western NSW with the SCA owned stations of Hit in Orange and Dubbo and Triple M in Orange.

Rick Lenarcic, Head of Regional Media, Southern Cross Austereo said;

"We are very excited to be working with Ron and his passionate team to help bring national radio sales to Bathurst.

"No one can deliver, or is more committed to regional radio than SCA. With the addition of the Bathurst Broadcaster stations to our sales representation, SCA offers 102 regional stations with a footprint audience of 7.1m people.

From 1 July, Bathurst Broadcasters will be making the switch of representation from TRSN to SCA.

Planets coming into alignment for an acquisition?

tis possible - Ron and Stephanie are ageing.

We do Triple M NightShift and other programs for B-Rock plus 2BS takes 2GB stuff which SCA distributes to them, so anything’s possible.