Netflix (General Discussion)

Netflix becomes the international home of The CW’s Dynasty reboot.

My initial concern is the source of the report, News Corp would be at the front of the queue to applaud if Netflix failed.

I can see Amazon or Apple at the front of the queue if Netflix came up for sale.

Netflix Acquires Millarworld

Comics Legend Mark Millar Joins Forces With the Leading Global Internet Entertainment Platform to Blow Minds Everywhere.

Netflix Inc. announced today it acquired Millarworld, the comic book publishing powerhouse founded by Mark Millar, the legendary creator of such iconic characters and stories as Kick-Ass, Kingsman, and Old Man Logan, and one of the most important voices in comics.

Together, Netflix and Millar will bring Millarworld’s portfolio of critically and fan-acclaimed character franchises to life through films, series and kids’ shows available exclusively to Netflix members globally. Millarworld will also continue to create and publish new stories and character franchises under the Netflix label.

The acquisition, the first ever by Netflix, is a natural progression in the company’s effort to work directly with prolific and skilled creators and to acquire intellectual property and ownership of stories featuring compelling characters and timeless, interwoven fictional worlds. Terms of the transaction weren’t disclosed.

“As creator and re-inventor of some of the most memorable stories and characters in recent history, ranging from Marvel’s The Avengers to Millarworld’s Kick-Ass, Kingsman, Wanted and Reborn franchises, Mark is as close as you can get to a modern day Stan Lee,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos. “We can’t wait to harness the creative power of Millarworld to Netflix and start a new era in global storytelling.”

“This is only the third time in history a major comic book company has been purchased at this level,” said Millar. “I’m so in love with what Netflix is doing and excited by their plans. Netflix is the future and Millarworld couldn’t have a better home.”

Millar, who runs Millarworld with his wife Lucy Millar, is one of the most consistent hitmakers in the graphic novel and comics world. In his eight years at Marvel, he developed the comic books and story arcs that inspired the first Avengers movie, Captain America: Civil War, and Logan (Wolverine), which collectively grossed over $3 billion in worldwide box office. Since Millarworld was started, the company and its co-creators have given birth to eighteen published character worlds, of which three, Wanted, Kick-Ass and Kingsman, have yielded theatrical films that together have grossed nearly $1 billion in global box office.

“Mark has created a next-generation comics universe, full of indelible characters living in situations people around the world can identify easily with,” added Sarandos. “We look forward to creating new Netflix Originals from several existing franchises as well as new super-hero, anti-hero, fantasy, sci-fi and horror stories Mark and his team will continue to create and publish.”

David Letterman makes his return to television on Netflix

David Letterman, the longest-serving host in U.S. late night television – the original host of Late Night (NBC) and The Late Show (CBS) – is returning to television for a new series for Netflix.

The yet-to-be-named, six-episode series has Letterman combining two interests for which he is renowned: in-depth conversations with extraordinary people, and in-the-field segments expressing his curiosity and humor. In each hour-long episode, Letterman will conduct a long-form conversation with a singular guest - and will also explore topics on his own, away from the studio. The series is set to premiere in 2018.

Said Letterman, “I feel excited and lucky to be working on this project for Netflix. Here’s what I have learned, if you retire to spend more time with your family, check with your family first. Thanks for watching, drive safely.”

“Just meeting David Letterman was a thrill; imagine how exciting it is for me to announce that we will be working together,” said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer, Netflix. “David Letterman is a true television icon, and I can’t wait to see him out in the wild, out from behind the desk and interviewing the people he finds most interesting. We’ll have to see if he keeps the beard.”

The project is being produced by RadicalMedia, the Academy Award® and Emmy-winning company behind Netflix’s What Happened, Miss Simone?, Oh Hello on Broadway and Abstract: The Art of Design, and Letterman’s Worldwide Pants.

In 33 years on late-night television, David Letterman hosted 6,028 episodes of Late Night (NBC) and The Late Show (CBS), and is the longest-running late-night broadcaster in American history.

As a writer, performer and producer, Letterman is one of the most-nominated individuals in Emmy Award history, with 52 nominations, resulting in 10 wins. Letterman is also a two-time Peabody-Award winner, a Kennedy Center Honoree, and will receive the Mark Twain Prize in October.

From his roots in comedy, Letterman also became renowned as an interviewer, sharing the stage with U.S. presidents, cabinet officials, Medal of Honor recipients, and virtually every presidential candidate for more than 20 years. Through his guest interviews, Letterman also brought to light important global issues such as world hunger and climate change.
Letterman announced his departure from The Late Show in 2014, and aired his final episode on May 20, 2015 to an audience of 13.76 million people.

David Letterman resides in New York with his wife Regina and son Harry.

Another F’ng streaming service, since I don’t watch Disney shows or movies I can’t get too excited.

Netflix to bring viewers new series from the creators of FAUDA

Netflix, the world’s leading internet TV network, will bring new series from the creators of the critically acclaimed series Fauda to more than 100 million members around the world.

Netflix has ordered straight to series an untitled project from Fauda creators Lior Raz and Avi Issacharoff, in which Raz will also star. A second series from the critically-acclaimed team, Hit and Run, is also in development. In 2018, Issacharoff and Raz’s acclaimed political thriller Fauda will premiere its second season on Netflix in all regions around the world outside of Israel and France.

The untitled project is inspired by actual events and follows a high-stakes global operation by the CIA and Mossad to track down and kill one of the world’s most wanted terrorists. Creators Issacharoff and Raz will serve as executive producers, along with Peter Principato, Itay Reiss and Kimberlin Belloni from Principato-Young Entertainment.

In Hit and Run, a happily married man’s life is turned upside down when his wife is killed in a mysterious hit and run accident. The political espionage thriller series is currently in development. Creators Raz and Issacharoff will serve as executive producers, along with Peter Principato, Itay Reiss and Kimberlin Belloni from Principato-Young Entertainment and David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Laurie Zaks from Mandeville Films.

“We are incredibly excited to start these projects with Netflix. It is an honor for us to continue our relationship with them and we are thrilled to be expanding our stories to be shared worldwide,” said creators Raz and Issacharoff.

“Lior and Avi are excellent storytellers and we’re proud to expand our relationship with them,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President, Original Content for Netflix. “We’re drawn to the global vision they have for their projects, each infused with drama, urgency, and relevance to our modern era.”

Shonda Rhimes and Shondaland come to Netflix

Prolific writer, producer and television hitmaker Shonda Rhimes is bringing her Shondaland production company to Netflix under a multi-year deal to produce new series and other projects. Longtime producing partner, Betsy Beers makes the move to Netflix as well.

The move further unites Rhimes with Netflix. While Shondaland’s award-winning series such as Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder air in the U.S. on ABC – and will continue to – How to Get Away with Murder streams everywhere else in the world on Netflix, with Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal available on Netflix in many regions as well.

“Shonda Rhimes is one of the greatest storytellers in the history of television,” said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer, Netflix. “Her work is gripping, inventive, pulse-pounding, heart-stopping, taboo-breaking television at its best. I’ve gotten the chance to know Shonda and she’s a true Netflixer at heart – she loves TV and films, she cares passionately about her work, and she delivers for her audience. We’re so excited to welcome her to Netflix.”

"Shondaland’s move to Netflix is the result of a shared plan Ted Sarandos and I built based on my vision for myself as a storyteller and for the evolution of my company,” said Rhimes. “Ted provides a clear, fearless space for creators at Netflix. He understood what I was looking for – the opportunity to build a vibrant new storytelling home for writers with the unique creative freedom and instantaneous global reach provided by Netflix’s singular sense of innovation. The future of Shondaland at Netflix has limitless possibilities.

Our current shows will continue to thrive on ABC and Shondaland will be there every step of the way. I could not have asked for a better home to begin my career. I continue to be grateful to work with so many talented people – especially our studio gladiator Patrick Moran and our most powerful and brilliant champion Channing Dungey.

Starting today, we are thrilled to begin creating new Shondaland stories with Netflix. Everyone at Shondaland is honored to expand both our audience and our creative identity with Ted and the entire team at Netflix."

Said Beers, "I am a huge fan of the talented team and amazing programming at Netflix. The ability to create content for our new partners is an exciting challenge. I am grateful to everyone at ABC for their continued support and I look forward to beginning this next chapter at Netflix.”

After my binge watching of Atypical on the weekend l got annoyed by getting prompted if I wanted to watch the next episode after watching a couple of episodes in a row, does anyone know how to stop that prompt from appearing?

If you’re watching using Chrome - http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2015/10/30/how_to_get_rid_of_netflix_s_continue_watching_pause.html

For everyone else:

Is there a way to disable the “Continue Watching” prompt?

There is no way to disable it using settings on the Netflix site. However, there is a Google Chrome extension called “Netflix Pause Remove” that may work for Chrome users.