NBN Network

I was advised by TPG I was eligible for a refund, they would then drop my Internet Speed, I declined their offer I was happy with my 100/40 speed.

0 Likes

How does that work though? If you are eligible they should be coughing up. They then should keep you on your existing plan.

0 Likes

Dear xxxxxxxx,

You are entitled to a refund and a costless exit from your NBN contract

We are writing to inform you that we have checked your National Broadband Network (NBN) connection and found that you cannot receive the internet speeds you have been paying for. We have entered into an undertaking with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) to offer you a refund because we are likely to have breached the Australian Consumer Law. As a result, we are offering you a choice of three options below, including a refund of $160.

You are currently paying for a Superfast plan which has maximum speeds of 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload.

The maximum speeds you can actually receive are 83.543Mbps download and 33.08Mbps upload.

This means that you are paying for speeds of up to 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload, when the fastest speeds you can actually receive are 83.543Mbps download and 33.08Mbps upload.

Your options
As you cannot receive the speeds you have been paying for, you can choose between the following options.

If you were on a different NBN speed plan prior to your current plan and could not receive the internet speeds you paid for, we have taken into account your current and previous NBN plans with TPG in calculating your refund.

Option 1 - Move plans and receive a refund
You can choose to move to a lower speed plan for the remainder of your contract. You will receive a refund of $160 because you paid for speeds that you could not receive.

To select this option, you can change your plan securely online by going to www.tpg.com.au/change-nbn or call us on 1300 013 989.

TPG is currently not offering a 25/5 Plan. If you would like to move to a 25/5 Plan, please consider exiting your contract with TPG and signing up with a new provider, as offered in Option 2 below.

Option 2 - Exit your contract without cost and receive a refund
You may wish to terminate your contract with TPG without any termination charges. If you cancel your contract, TPG will issue you a refund of $160 because you paid for the speeds that you could not receive.

If you wish to cancel your contract, please complete the cancellation form securely online by going to www.tpg.com.au/cancel-nbn or call us on 1300 013 989.

Option 3 - Remain on your current contract with no refund
You can choose to remain on your current plan. We will not provide you with a refund and your contract will continue. You should know that you will not receive the full benefit from the Superfast plan because your NBN connection cannot provide the speeds you are paying for.

If you want to remain on your current plan, please select this option by going online to www.tpg.com.au/stay-nbn or call us on 1300 013 989. If you don’t choose an option, we will follow up with you by phone or SMS to confirm your choice.

About your NBN connection
Your premises are connected to the internet using NBN’s fibre-to-the-node technology.

This means that your NBN connection is made of two parts: (1) optic fibre to a nearby box, and (2) copper wire from the box to your premises.

The maximum speed that can be delivered to your premises is affected by several factors, including the distance and quality of the copper wire going into your premises, electrical interference, and the cabling in your premises.

Important things to note
Your maximum speed is a limit on what speeds you can receive, not a measurement of what you are actually receiving at all times.

Your maximum speed may not change if you choose to exit your contract with TPG and purchase an NBN internet plan from another provider. If you choose to exit your contract with TPG and purchase an NBN internet plan from another provider, we recommend you ask your new provider what speeds they can provide, and what speeds you will receive during busy times.

What you need to do next
You need to select one of the options:

Alternatively, you can call us on 1300 013 989. We are available 9am to 6pm, 7 days a week (AEDT).
Kind Regards,

0 Likes

I’d be taking this up with the TIO. If I’m entitled to a refund, they should be providing it and leaving me on my plan.

The reason for the refund is that they were guaranteeing the speed beforehand hence the ACCC intervention. They even tell you that you weren’t getting the speed you were paying for in their letter by providing an example.

If you now know how the plan works, you should now be able to stay on the plan and get the theoretical speeds you get based on this (is. No change). Up to you but I’d be fighting (even if they gave a credit on your account…)

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

1 Like

0 Likes

0 Likes

Insightful comments inbound.

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes