Doctor Who

0 Likes

From Doctor Who: The Encyclopedia
Liao Dynasty – The Doctor sent Matthew See and Karen Gillan to the Liao Dynasty for a Chinese takeaway – it wasn’t a restaurant but the actual 12th-century palace. The guards were not happy. [The Gunpowder Plot]

0 Likes

Baker’s End: The King of Cats:

The King of Cats is the first story in Baker’s End starring Doctor Who luminaries Tom Baker and Katy Manning and written by Paul Magrs.

I was very glad that this had Tom and Katy finally working together.

Tom plays a different version of himself and there is a funeral for him in the village of Happenstance which was attended by Suzy Goshawk played by Katy.

However Tom is not as dead as he seems and the hilarity this ensues and this embroils Suzy in it.

Other cast members includes Susan Jameson and David Benson.

Jameson’s played Tom’s housekeeper Mrs Frimbly and she also played another housekeeper Mrs Wibbsey, companion to Tom’s Fourth Doctor in the Nest Cottage series which was also written by Magrs.

Benson played Panda, companion to Iris Wildthyme played by Katy for Big Finish.

The interview with Tom at the end was enjoyable and it was very amusing how long it took Magrs to identify himself.

0 Likes

The Fifty-year Delay:

The Fifty-year Delay is a short story that was originally published in the 50th Anniversary Annual and later republished as part of the Heroes and Monsters Collection.

Featuring the Eleventh Doctor.

Intriguing story in which the Doctor meets Ryan Goodman in the Underground Station as they battle it out against an ancient time bird.

0 Likes

Torchwood

Broken:

Broken is the penultimate episode of the second Big Finish Torchwood season.

Featuring Ianto and Jack.

Written by Joseph Lidster and released in July 2016.

This is set during season 1 with it coming just after episode 4 Cyberwoman, during the course of episode 5 Small Worlds (with Jack getting a call from Estelle), episode 6 Countrycide and the last setting in relation to the TV series is sometime after episode 7 Greeks Bearing Gifts as Jack had recently killed Mary.

With Greeks Bearing Gifts being episode 7, Lidster explained that he wrote Broken as if it were episode 7A.

As this episode only feature Ianto and Jack as the main Torchwood characters, the others are mentioned but conveniently they just happened to be absent in the episode’s proceedings.

Much of Broken deals with the aftermath of Cyberwoman, as Ianto had just lost Lisa.

Broken also presents Ianto’s experiences in Countrycide had on him.

This comes as Ianto enters a new pub and befriends barmaid Mandy.

I sensed rightly there was something more to Mandy than she initially appeared.

In a climax to this Ianto’s promise of revenge over Lisa came into play, a promise that was not addressed and forgotten about in the TV series.

Ianto got to experienced something that he did not experience in the TV series and that same experience for Jack is akin to what he went through in the changed world in Turn Left.

In detailing Ianto’s feelings particularly about the loss of Lisa in Cyberwoman, Broken fits in perfectly like an episode of season 1 from whence it is set.

The cover has Ianto and Jack in an embrace and made me think that this is a love story between the two.

However while this particular subject is touched upon, this was mainly about

Ianto and what being part of Torchwood has done to him.

Broken is the feeling inside of one’s self being in that state.

This made me think of the movie The Party’s Just Beginning as it ran more or less on similar lines which made me appreciate Broken.

I think about The Party’s Just Beginning all the time since it is from my wife Karen Gillan.

0 Likes