Being the Ricardos

Released in 2021, Being the Ricardos is a biographical drama detailing what went on during a period of production on I Love Lucy most specifically on its stars and real-life spouses Lucille Ball (Nicole Kidman) and Desi Arnaz (Javier Bardem) with the Ricardos being a reference to their characters Lucy and Ricky Ricardo.
Written and directed by Aaron Sorkin and the couple’s children Desi Jr and Lucie are credited as Executive Producers.
Being the Ricardos is told in three perspectives with retrospective interviews by I Love Lucy three lead writers Jess Oppenheimer (also the showrunner), Madelyn Pugh and Bob Carroll (all played by actors as the real people portrayed here are deceased), the said period of production of I Love Lucy and the events before that led to I Love Lucy being conceived.
Although I have seen previous portrayals of Lucy and Desi’s marriage and the production of I Love Lucy, it was unsettling seeing the depiction of the said marriage and the events that came with it on Being the Ricardos especially since I am a long-time Lucy fan.
On another level it is fascinating to see how this is played out.
Fascinating bits includes Lucy being suspected of being a Communist (investigation of which determining whether her hair was the only thing red about her), the nature of her friendship with co-star Vivian Vance (Nina Arianda) who had played Ethel Mertz, the friction Lucy had with Oppenheimer especially when they came to blows on giving Desi an executive producer credit and Lucy having a problem with director Donald Glass.
Due to said problem with Glass I went to look him up only to find that I Love Lucy never had a director by that name.
I was quite saddened to see what it says at the title card at the end reminding me about what became of Lucy and Desi after the events depicted in this film.

Kidman’s casting as Lucille Ball has met with criticisms but personally I have no problems with her being Lucy.