Go Back   Knowfirst > News Now > Media News First

Reply Post New Thread
Old 31-01-12, 10:10 AM
Mark@  Mark@ is offline Status: Offline
Administrator
Snowrider Champion

FOXTEL announces appointment of Ed Smith as Executive Director Sales and Marketing

The Chief Executive of FOXTEL, Richard Freudenstein, today announced that it will be combining its consumer sales and marketing functions under the leadership of Ed Smith, formally Group Marketing Director of News Limited.

Mr Freudenstein said, “This is an incredibly exciting period for FOXTEL. Ed will have responsibility for marketing and selling FOXTEL’s most fantastic product offering yet including for the first time every game of the AFL live and in full, the most comprehensive Olympics broadcast ever, and the greatest choice of channels offered by any Australian broadcaster – available across multiple platforms.”

“Having worked closely with Ed for the past five years at News Limited, I know he is perfectly suited to the role. He led the transformation of the company’s marketing function and played a key role in the build and launch of its digital subscription platform and products.”

“Prior to his group marketing role, Ed was CEO of the media group within News Digital Media. Under Ed’s leadership News Digital Media’s sales team significantly outperformed the market and won B&T’s Sales Team of the Year two years in a row.” Mr Freudenstein said.

Mr Freudenstein said, “Our Director of Marketing Chantal Walker has done an excellent job in re-energising FOXTEL’s marketing team and producing creative and clear marketing campaigns that are connecting strongly with consumers. Marco Miranda, FOXTEL’s Director of Sales, has also done an excellent job in driving FOXTEL’s sales during a period of extreme consumer caution. Chantal and Marco will report to the newly created combined consumer and business marketing and sales position.”

Ed Smith said, “I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to work with Richard at FOXTEL and to take what I know about sales and marketing to FOXTEL as it continues to offer choice and control to Australians over their television viewing as well as offering a really remarkable range of broadcasting firsts. These firsts include every game of the AFL live, new channels like A&E and FX, and a simply extraordinary range of quality local and international shows.”

“At the same time I am genuinely sad to be leaving News Limited as it goes through such an exciting transformation. The past five years at Carsguide, News Digital Media and head office have been amazing.

“I am particularly proud of the work the group and divisional marketing teams have done over the past twelve months, putting in place the foundations News Limited needs to acquire, retain and service customers across multiple platforms for years to come.”

Kim Williams, CEO of News Limited, said “This is a great opportunity for Ed and while we’ll be sorry to see him leave News Limited, he joins FOXTEL with my full support. News Limited’s shareholding in FOXTEL is a key strategic investment and I am delighted that it will benefit from his sales and marketing expertise.”

Mr Smith joined News Limited in January 2007 as Chief Executive of carsguide.com.au. Later that year he was appointed News Digital Media’s Chief Commercial Officer and in 2009 he was promoted to Chief Executive Officer, Content and Commercial.

Mr Smith joined News Limited from St. George bank, where as Head of Retail Segments, he bought together and led the retail marketing for cards, personal lending, deposits and e-channels.

Prior to this, he ran DMB&B advertising (media and creative) in Beijing, where he worked on key Mars and Coke brands.
Reply Post New Thread