PDA

View Full Version : Connecting DVD recorder with Austar to TV

curious
16-08-05, 01:58 PM
I just bought a LG DVD recorder. Just wondering if it is safe to connect the austar decoder box through the DVD player and then connect the DVD player to the TV?
Does anyone else do this and if so does it distort the signal from austar? Will it wreck the Austar Box in any way and can you record anything from the Austar channels?

Thanks!

21C
16-08-05, 02:08 PM
It shouldn't be a problem at all. It is just the same as connecting a VCR - remember them?

Try here if you have more questions.
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showforum=8

rusty
16-08-05, 02:20 PM
I have done this and found no problems.

Nickel
16-08-05, 03:13 PM
Wouldn't it be better to connect it to the DVD player AND the TV?

Doesn't the Austar box have more than one output?

That way you wouldn't have to have the DVD player on to watch Austar.

batb0y
16-08-05, 03:21 PM
im just waiting for austars own dvd recorder to come out next year.

rusty
16-08-05, 03:38 PM
Absolutely. You should be doing both.

curious
16-08-05, 03:46 PM
Wouldn't it be better to connect it to the DVD player AND the TV?

Do you mean using the rf in and rf out connections? Then tuning the Austar signal into the TV?

Nickel
16-08-05, 04:44 PM
Do you mean using the rf in and rf out connections? Then tuning the Austar signal into the TV?

I'm not familiar with the Austar box, but yes, you can use these.

You wouldn't need to tune your TV to get Austar either.

It should just come up on one of the AV channels on your TV.

Andyt30
16-08-05, 04:53 PM
can;t wait for the new Austar recorder to comeout ;) be a new toy to have fun with i like new gadgets :) you think Austar would try and compete with Foxtel and do what they do etc :)

cheers

Xaviar
22-08-05, 06:38 PM
On the Foxtel STU (by Pace) there are 2 SCART sockets. I use a SCART to 6 x RCA (composite video in+out) to connect the STU to my DVDR (a LiteOn model with no SCART socket) and a SCART to SCART to connect the STU to my TV - in that setup the AV button on the Foxtel remote switches to the DVDR's output. I only need to switch on the DVDR when I am either watching a DVD, recording from Foxtel, or watching another source through an input on the DVDR - the rest of the time I can watch Foxtel with the DVDR switched off (it's cooling fan makes a slightly annoying noise). All of this through the same AV channel on my TV. What connectors does the Austar STU have?

curious
22-08-05, 07:12 PM
You can't do that setup on austar because we don't get the free to air channels at which we can record and there no AV button on the Austar remote in which you can watch the DVD through.
it's cooling fan makes a slightly annoying noise
Yes that dreaded Fan on the DVD is very annoying! :Angry:

Xaviar
23-08-05, 02:34 PM
Sorry. Had Austar analogue a few years back - forgot they don't carry the FTA channels. I assume you got it connected okay VCR style. As a matter of curiousity what brand of STU do Austar use and what connectors does it have?

curious
23-08-05, 03:16 PM
Yeah connected vcr stlye. I have an Atlas box and i think(someone correct me if i'm wrong) it just has 1 scart connection with mono and video out plugs. Also has S-VHS , rf in and rf out plugs also.